So as Summer approaches and many of us pay a little more attention to the way we eat; healthy recipes are important to have handy at every meal time! We’re also becoming more and more aware of ‘superfoods’ and their myriad of benefits, so if you haven’t already been introduced to chia seeds, here’s your chance to try a new ‘health food’ which is gaining a positive reputation for its high nutritious value.
This chia porridge recipe is inspired by my recent trip to the Passion Café in Ibiza whilst on a Yoga retreat there (you can read the review of the JoGa Beats Yoga Fiesta week-long retreat soon!). A raw food recipe; this breakfast is perfect for when the weather starts to get a little warmer, as it will still support an active and busy day, while leaving out that ‘heavy’ feeling that traditional porridge sometimes has.
But what’s so great about Chia Seeds?
- They’re rich in Omega 3 fatty acids; this means they prevent inflammation (which is the cause of many illnesses and physical pains within the body), they improve brain function and mood, they help keeps joints supple, and maintain healthy skin.
- They’re high in antioxidants
- They’re filling, so you’ll feel satisfied after a bowl of chia and less likely to turn to unhealthy snacks mid morning
- They’re gluten and grain – free for anyone avoiding these
- They help to regulate blood sugar
- They can be used as an egg replacer for vegan recipes. (To make one ‘chia egg’, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and leave for 15 minutes to combine and form a gel-like substance).
- Chia seeds improve our ‘endurance ability’; meaning you’ll be able to run, swim, hike or cycle for longer this Summer!
- They contain a great amount of fibre, which is important for digestive health. (A 1 ounce serving of chia seeds provides 11g of fibre – a third of the recommended daily amount!)
- Chia seeds are a good source of calcium to keep those teeth and bones strong and healthy
- A Great source of vegan protein
- Chia seeds also contain the much-loved amino acid tryptophan, which is a powerful mood-booster!
Mix ¼ cup of chia seeds with ¾ of plant based milk such as almond, rice, or hemp milk and leave to soak over night in a fridge.
(Or keep stirring for 20 minutes before eating if you’re unable to leave over night)
So you’ve got your base of nutritious chia porridge. To make it more delicious and healthy, add any or many of these toppings:
- ½ a Banana – for an energy and mood boost thanks to the high amounts of tryptophan, potassium and iron.
- Blueberries – for their high amount of antioxidants
- Hemp Seeds – for their amazing array of benefits including boosting mood, energy, improving muscle mass, cognitive function, and complexion.
- Maca Powder – although many people aren’t a fan of the taste; Maca helps to regulate hormones, improve energy levels and mood, and is also used as an aphrodisiac in some cultures!
- Almonds – For their ability to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol levels and increase the ability of the body to absorb energy from other foods. Plus, they’re the best nut for improving heart health!
- Honey – For its antibacterial properties, memory-boosting properties, and ability to provide a natural and quick energy boost.
- Coconut flakes – For the essential healthy fats the body loves and needs
- Raw Cacao –Yes, why not have chocolate for breakfast?! Either mix 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder with your plant based milk when making the chia porridge, or sprinkle some raw cacao nibs on top for a chocolatey, crunchy addition of antioxidants, ability to improve physical and mental health, and helping to improve digestion by stimulating the body’s production of digestive enzymes.
Coming soon…. A new Yoga Retreat Review
Find out what you can expect from a week-long yoga fiesta in Ibiza!