When you’re not quite ready to give up your Summer smoothies, but you can’t wait for Pumpkin Spice Latte season to begin, this recipe is the perfect balance between two worlds.
Full of the taste of autumn, packed with nutrients and valuable vitamins, but still smooth, satisfying and easy to drink on-the-go, this is the smoothie to welcome you into September and the coming Autumn season, and eases the transition to more grounding, earthy dishes.
If you’re planning a brief detox before the festive season begins, this would also be a great recipe to keep on hand as a way to satisfy cravings.
The key benefits:
- Squash is high in potassium, essential for muscular health and maintenance.
- Apples are wonderful for maintaining healthy liver, and they’re full of fiber to ‘keep things moving’….
- Nut butters are the protein provider here, and just a tbsp is a great way to add healthy fats and good quality plant protein to your day
- Cinnamon is a key blood-balancer, keeping mood and hunger levels in check, whilst vanilla is great for relaxing the nervous system, and ginger gives the digestive system a boost.
- Dates are full of fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron and are the best way to make this smoothie naturally sweet
Make this for breakfast, as a post-exercise snack, or for when you can’t get your hands on a Pumpkin Spice Latte and you need that fix.
- 1 cup butternut squash (chopped into small cubes)
- 1 apple, chopped
- 6 dates
- 1-2 tbsp nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond etc.)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Organic or dairy-free milk
Bake the squash for 30-40 minutes until tender, or microwave for 7 minutes until it’s soft
When cooked, leave to cool for a couple of minutes, then add all ingredients to a blender, fill with your chosen milk
Leave a Reply