As we welcome the Spring Equinox this week, it seems appropriate to make something green and full of life. The beginnings of Spring are very much a transitional time of the year in terms of living with nature. After the heaviness and hibernation of Winter, it’s important to recognise whether there’s a need to re-set or reboot physically, mentally or environmentally. Spring cleaning, adding plenty of movement to your day, drinking lots of water and getting outside are a few effective ways to realign with the season, but adding herbs and specific foods to your meals can boost the effects even further.
To gently ‘cleanse’ the body, consume foods like bitter greens, artichoke, dandelion tea, green tea, and lemon with warm water. Parsley and seasonal garlic are also wonderful herbs to support a cleaner and more energised body during Spring, so dive into this recipe and make your own Springtime pesto as we move into a new season!
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 2 big handfuls spinach or another seasonal leafy green
- 1 handful fresh wild garlic or 1 garlic clove
- 1 handful walnuts
- glug of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp good quality salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a blender and whizz until it reaches a consistency you recognise as pesto-like.
If the mixture needs a little more liquid, add more oil or a small splash of water.
Choose to make the pesto chunky or smooth depending upon how long you blend it for.