Chewing a mix of seeds and spices post-dinner is tradition in many cultures throughout the world – just as you might sip a mint tea, or enjoy a square of chocolate, there needs to be a natural human urge to consume something sweet, bitter or pungent to help with digestion. If you tend to suffer with indigestion, bloating, or occasional bouts of feeling ‘heavy’ after dinner, this digestif mix of seeds is an effective way to help the body digest meals, leaving you feeling lighter and more settled before bed.
The seeds used in this recipe are inspired by the many Ayurvedic remedies for digestion, and as with many natural ‘medicines’, it doesn’t necessarily taste like most of the foods we’re used to in the UK. These seeds have powerful benefits, which often comes with a powerful taste….
(makes a little less than 1 jam jar size amount)
- 1/4 cup fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup ajowan seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- Place a dry pan over a medium heat and wait until it becomes hot
- Toast each type of seed separately – once they start to ‘pop’ and you can smell the scent, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate – leave to cool
- Once all the seeds have cooled, add them to your jar.
- Take 1 tsp after dinner – chew it for 10-15 minutes. You can either spit the mixture out or swallow it depending upon personal preference
- Store in a cupboard – it’ll keep well for at least a month
Leave a Reply