Humans are essentially a big bag of hormones. Most of our emotions, actions, likes and dislikes are triggered by changing hormone levels in our bodies. Most women know this all too well…. Thankfully, there are a lot of ways we can influence and support our hormones, and one of them is this delicious spiced hot chocolate. You can drink this most evenings, but to use it primarily as a way to support yourself hormonally, drink it the few days before and during your cycle as a way to soothe PMS symptoms, support your hormone levels, and give your body a dose of much-needed mineral-rich and comforting goodness.
The ingredients are all power-houses within themselves; cocoa is high in magnesium, essential for muscle health, relaxation and sleep. Maca is an adaptogen, helping us deal better with stress and stimulates the endocrine system to maintain hormone balance. Saffron is an incredible mood-booster, and studies show that even just smelling it can reduce PMS symptoms like anxiety, irritability, headaches, pain and cravings. Fennel aids in balancing the reproductive system and reducing bloating, whilst cinnamon balances blood sugar and ginger improves digestion. Coconut oil is a super healthy fat that women desperately need for brain and hormone health, and collagen enhances healthy skin and joints.
- ½ tsp ground maca
- 3 – 4 strands of saffron
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp ground fennel
- 1 tbsp raw cacao or cocoa
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen (use code EMMA10 for 10% off yours HERE)
- 1 cup milk of choice (if you buy non-dairy milk, try to look for brands that don’t add any inflammatory oils like sunflower or rapeseed. The long-life organic Oatly milk is the only one we’ve found so far without harmful additives or sugar).
- Add all ingredients to a pan and heat gently, using a whisk to stir well
- Stir in maple syrup or natural stevia to sweeten
- Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy!
Leave a Reply