Chia seeds offer a power-house of nutrients, including fibre, protein, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium, while oats give long-lasting energy and help to keep mood levels stable (good for curing the Winter blues!) The warming Cinnamon, pepper and ginger are great for keeping the internal fire going while the weather is cold, and cardamom is a fantastic aid to digestion – also useful if you’ve over-indulged this Christmas….
Leave this to set over night to save yourself time in the morning, which also allows the flavours to infuse fully so you get the most out of your spices. The flavours could also be added to a normal oat-based porridge if you fancy having something warmer while the weather is cold, or combined with soy or almond milk for a chai smoothie!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp oats
- almond or rice milk
- 1-2 tsp Cinnamon
- 4 crushed Pepper corns
- 1 tsp crushed Cardamom
- ½ inch grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1tbsp slivered almonds
- ½ banana (optional)
- Honey to sweeten
- Add all of your spices, vanilla and fresh ginger to a bowl and mix well
- Add the chia seeds and oats
- Pour on milk and stir well for a couple of minutes to ensure everything is combined
- Once mixed, sprinkle on the coconut and slivered almonds
- Serve with a drizzle of honey and chopped banana for a satisfying and sustaining Indian-inspired breakfast!
Spice up your meals to keep the inner fire burning while the weather is cold! Sweet and savoury dishes all work well with an added boost in the Winter time….