Wondering what to do with all those Autumn apples? There are four recipes coming up all dedicated to the wonderful and versatile apple, here’s number one:
Somewhere between porridge and apple crumble; this recipe is warming, satisfying and nutritious, while still being delicious enough for you to feel as though you’re eating dessert for breakfast….
- 1 large apple (chopped. Keep the skin on for extra fibre and nutrients!)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp flax
- Pinch of baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- vanilla extract
- A small amount of hot water or non-dairy milk
- *Optional: maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses, lucuma powder, date syrup or a sweetener of your choice
- Pre-heat oven to 190C
- Add the apple, nearly all of the oats, flax, baking soda, cinnamon, mixed spice, coconut oil and vanilla to a small ramekin and mix well. *If you like a sweeter breakfast, add in something sweet that cooks well here (not honey though: In the Ayurvedic way of eating – which pays special attention to purity and healthy digestion – it is said honey becomes toxic when cooked), something like maple syrup, molasses, coconut sugar, date syrup or lucuma powder.
- Once everything is combined, cover generously with either a milk of your choice or hot water, mix well again (add in any optional extras like raisins, berries, hemp seeds, nuts, coconut etc. here)
- Sprinkle over the last remaining oats
- Place in the oven and bake until you begin to smell what’s cooking and the top has slightly browned
- Top with berries / nuts / honey / yogurt etc to complete your breakfast
- Eat somewhere you can see and appreciate beautiful Autumn happening outside….