Sometimes we crave something spicy and stimulating and other times we really need a calming, nourishing potion to soothe the senses and find clarity. This is definitely one for the latter. All the ingredients here aid in maintaining a calm mind and a happy mood – something we may all need a little help with from time to time!
Many processed alternative milks contain added chemicals and lots of sugar, so by making your own surprisingly inexpensive version, you’ll know exactly what’s going into the drink and therefore into your wonderful body.
Nourish yourself from the inside-out.
- 1 large handful cashews
- 4 cardamom pods, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 dates
- Pinch of pink himalayan salt or good quality salt
(Makes approximately 3 servings of mylk)
Cardamom = Maintains the health of blood flow, gastrointenstenal protection, contains a natural aphrodisiac, and has a particularly soothing effect on muscles and the nervous system, aiding clarity of mind.
Cashews = A natural mood booster; just one handful of cashews is said to be as effective – if not more effective – than a prescription dose of Prozac, they contain lower amounts of fat than other nuts and high amounts of potassium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc, which all help keep muscles, bones and blood healthy.
Vanilla = A natural way to relax the nervous system; vanilla is an every-day ‘superfood’ and aids in maintaining brain health. It helps to boost mood levels significantly and the high amounts of magnesium are balancing – meaning they help to both relax and energise muscles.
Dates = Nature’s natural energy booster; dates are and high in fiber, potassium and copper, which all aids in digestion, muscle and bone health, and maintaining healthy bloodcells.
Himalayan Salt = This pink coloured salt contains all the minerals the body needs. It regulates the water content throughout the body, and maintains the balance of PH levels in cells.
- Soak the cashews over night – this is important as it allows for easier digestion and absorption of the valuable nutrients found in cashews.
- The next morning, drain the cashews and add all ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Add 3 mugs or large cups of water
- Blend well until everything resembles….. well, milk.
- Pour into very clean recycled bottles and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or drink straight away*
- Realise how delicious and easy this is to make, and end up making a lot more of it….
*You can also warm the liquid after blending to make a comforting milky drink before bed. Add raw cacao powder for a completely healthy and plant-based hot chocolate, or turmeric powder and black pepper for a healing turmeric tea.
Leave a Reply