Eating seasonally is one of the best ways to provide the body with all the nutrients it needs for that particular time of year. There’s a reason root vegetables are ready to eat in the Winter time when we need ‘grounding’ and warming up, and there’s a reason sweeter, lighter, refreshing fruits are ripe in the Summer when we need to cool down….
Autumn is a time of nourishment, and a time to care for the immune system. The harvest season sees an abundance of different fruits and vegetables on offer, and this compote is a healthy, tasty way to make the most of early September offerings. Serve with your favourite yoghurt, top with berries and seeds, and start your day in a healthy way.
Ingredients (Makes one medium sized jar)
- 1 apple
- 1 large fig
- 1 cup blackberries – see if you can pick some locally, they’re everywhere at this time of year
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp raw honey (optional to sweeten and as an immune-booster)
- Your favourite yoghurt. I use The Coconut Collaborative coconut yoghurt.
- Place the fruit and honey in a blender and blend briefly, enough to turn everything into a thick and chunky jam-like texture.
- Pour the mixture into a jar or container and stir in the chia seeds.
- Leave to set in the fridge over night and top with your favourite yoghurt and some seeds for a healthy, beautiful breakfast.