It’s Autumn, it’s cold, and it’s time for some hearty, warming dishes. What it’s also time for however, is lots and lots of vitamins and minerals, which can be denatured and lost when we cook foods and heat them to a high temperature.
By gently steaming the squash, and then simply blending all the other ingredients raw, the maximum amount of health benefits are maintained in this recipe, whilst still allowing the dish to be a comfort-food feast. Seasonal, immune-boosting and completely satisfying, this is a recipe to keep on hand for a healthy weeknight meal.
Serve this sauce with your favourite pasta, or try an alternative like brown rice, quinoa or chickpea pasta. As a Summer dish you could also serve this with courgetti!
The photo above shows mine served with fresh basil leaves and sun dried tomatoes, and steamed beetroot greens on the side.
- ½ Butternut Squash
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Yellow pepper
- ½ tsp Pink Salt
- A few cracks of black pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1-2 Tbsp Good Quality Pure Sesame Oil
- Chop ½ a butternut squash into 1-inch cubes (this will make the steaming time a little quicker). Steam for approximately 6-8 minutes, or until it is tender when prodding with a fork.
- Allow the squash to cook for a couple of minutes, then add all ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend until you reach the desired consistency. Longer for a smooth, creamy sauce, or shorter for a thick, chunky sauce.
- When you’re ready to serve, warm the sauce for a few minutes in a pan before pouring over your favourite pasta. Keep the sauce well below boiling point when you warm it so as to retain the maximum amount of nutrients.
- Stay warm, stay well and enjoy!