With all manner of celebrations coming up within the last couple of months of the year, there’s always a party to go to, a dinner to host, or a get-together to prepare for. Sweet treats and indulgent dishes are plentiful, so here’s a recipe to bring a little balance to the table with healthy ingredients and seasonal nutrients.
Chestnuts are low in fat, but rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, iron, magnesium and manganese, as well as folates and fibre (essential for digestive health!). Dark chocolate is high in antioxidants, iron, magnesium, potassium, and can help lower LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol when eaten in moderation.
Top these with festive spices or superfood sprinkles, and you’ve got yourself an alternative party plate loaded with nutrients.
- 1 bag of whole foods pre-cooked chestnuts OR cook your own fresh chestnuts!
- 1 bar of good quality dark chocolate (at least 72%)
- Toppings: Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Coconut, Bee Pollen etc….
- Either cook your chestnuts, or simply remove from the bag….
- Melt the chocolate over the hob, in a bain marie or in the microwave.
- Roll the chestnuts in the melted chocolate
- Remove and place on a plate or sheet of foil, and top with your favourite flavours. I used nutmeg, cinnamon, coconut, bee pollen and maca powder.
- Insert cocktail sticks into the chestnuts
- Leave to cool in the fridge for at least an hour or over night
- When you’re ready to serve, remove from the fridge (use a knife to separate the chocolate from the plate if needed) and share!