Whip these up to have on hand for guests, for yourself, or for healthier edible Christmas gifts!
These festive little bites are made with easy – to- digest spelt flour, Christmassy mixed spice and minimal sugar. The sweetness comes from organic pureed apples and molasses, meaning these biscuits could be a welcome break from the abundance of festive food around at the moment! Reminiscent of gingerbread biscuits and warming mulled drinks, these are totally suitable for dunking in tea, and will keep well for around a week (if they last that long!)
Makes around 25 biscuits
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cap vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 small jar (1/2 cup) organic apple puree – make your own or purchase through amazon or from most health food shops.
- Optional: top with melted dark chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine
- Add the apple puree, vanilla and molasses and mix briefly
- Melt the coconut oil and add, mixing until everything is well combined
- At this point, you may need to add a little more flour if the mixture seems too wet. Use your hands to mix, eventually creating a dough that you’re able to handle
- Form a ball with the dough and place in the fridge for half an hour or overnight
- When you’re ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 175-180C
- Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thick and cut into festive shapes. (If you’re working on a small surface, cut the dough in half and do steps 7-9 with each half of dough)
- Place on a lined baking tray in the middle or bottom of the oven and bake for roughly 12 minutes
- Once lightly browned and smelling delicious, leave to cool and optionally top with melted dark chocolate!
- Keep these in an air-tight container for about a week