Not for the fait-hearted, this concoction is a powerful way to prevent an oncoming cold, or rid the body of a chesty cough and blocked sinuses. Along with making sure you pay extra attention to preventing stress and saying ‘no’ when you need to, this is one of the keys to speeding up recovery during flu season!
Ginger is thought of as a cure-all in many cultures, whilst turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Lemon promotes hydration and is full of vitamin c, apple cider vinegar is great for gut health and for cutting through mucus and phlegm, and honey helps soothe a sore throat whilst also being antibacterial. If this recipe seems a little strong at first, try halving the ingredients and build up over a few days until the illness has subsided. I won’t say this is one of the most delicious drinks you’ll have ever tried, but you’ll be grateful you tried once you’re feeling better!
- Half of one unwaxed lemon – yes, even the peel! Lemon peel contains lots of vitamins and minerals, treats oxidative stress, and has anti-cancer properties to name but a few benefits
- one thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- pinch of black pepper
- optional: for an added mucus-fighting boost, add a pinch of cayenne pepper too
- optional: to balance blood sugar levels and make this drink a little more palatable, add 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Add all ingredients other than the honey to a blender
- Add 1 cup of water and blend well
- Once everything is blended, pour the mixture through a sieve into a pan (if you don’t mind pulp, feel free to add everything)
- Heat on a low flame and stir through the honey
- When the pan starts to gently simmer, take off the heat and pour into a mug
- Add more honey to sweeten if needed
Enjoy & get well soon!
Tip: Try to drink this either with or after a meal, as turmeric is best absorbed when consumed with a healthy fat!