When it comes to dealing with day-to-day stress, what we eat and drink can play a huge role. Adaptogens are natural herbs and remedies that literally help the body and mind ‘adapt’ to stress. They reduce excess cortisol, help balance hormone levels, improve attention and endurance, and help nourish the adrenals. To read more on methods to nourish your adrenal glands and help your mind and body relax, read my recent YogaMatters blog HERE.
Tulsi is one of Ayurveda’s favourite adaptogens, as it helps reduce stress and blood pressure, promotes clarity, is great for respiratory health, and aids in reducing inflammation.
As well as my Turmeric Chai and Cosy Chai recipes, this is a great tonic to drink a couple of times a week to help balance your mind and body. This particular recipe also helps maintain healthy digestion and joint health. Give it a try!
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp tulsi powder (organic)
- 2 tsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (organic dairy or plant-based)
- Add all ingredients other than the milk to a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 mins, then add the milk
- Use a whisk or fork to froth the liquid, latte style
- Strain into 2 mugs and add honey to sweeten if you like
Leave a Reply