At the beginning of March, we hosted the Women’s Spring Yoga & Wellness Retreat in Sussex, and these gut-friendly carrot cake energy balls certainly went down well! It was such a treat to spend the weekend teaching and sharing space with a wonderful group of women, and enjoying delicious, healthy food together. (Find out about our upcoming retreats here).
These yummy, low-sugar, high-fibre and totally healthy energy balls are like a little bite of nourishing carrot cake, with plenty of plant based protein, healthy fats and vegetables.
What Are The Benefits Of Raw Carrots?
Whilst raw foods aren’t always recommended from an Ayurvedic perspective, raw carrots in particular can help cleanse the gut, clear the intestines, are anti-microbial, super high in vitamin C (which can easily be destroyed when cooked) and aid in iron absorption too.
Dr. Ray Peat is an expert on how diet impacts human health, especially when it comes to metabolism and hormone health. One of his recommendations is to consume a raw carrot salad often, to help balance hormones like estrogen, and support thyroid function, which has a huge influence of many systems of the body. This recipe definitely isn’t a salad, but maybe with its super high fibre content and hidden vegetables, it’ll be just as good for your gut!
(Makes roughly 20 + balls)
- 4 large carrots
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup dates or prunes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Either grate the carrots, or shred in a food processor
- Making this in 2 batches allows everything to combine waist: Add 1/2 the ingredients to a large blender or food processor and whizz to combine
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whizz until all the liquid ingredients come together and form a ‘dough’
- Roll the mixture into golf-ball sized balls
- Store in the fridge and enjoy throughout the week!
- Freeze any extras to use later