Comfort food at its healthiest and tastiest – this bake is reminiscent of a pasta bake or casserole, but made with fibre-rich cauliflower, full of antioxidants, and sulforaphane – which contains an important natural chemical that effects the expression of DNA. In the case of sulforaphane (and therefore cauliflower) the effect it has is a very positive one, helping drastically reduce the risk of many cancers, cognitive decline, heart disease, and can help increase longevity.
Whip this up with your choice of vegan cheese or feta, 2 eggs and potent spices like turmeric, garlic, black pepper, chilli and thyme, and you’ll have an anti-inflammatory, satisfying and easy dinner with minimal fuss!
Note: credit to theironyou.com for the image, as we wasted no time in eating all of this before I remembered to take a photo!
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 680g bottle of passata or 2 cans of passata
- ½ cup feta cheese or vegan alternative
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp chilli
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- optional: sliced cherry tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and add all of it to a steamer (or microwave if you don’t have another alternative) and steam for 5 minutes
- Whilst you’re steaming the cauliflower, heat 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil in a pan
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and all the spices
- Add the steamed cauliflower to the pan of oil and spices and stir to coat the cauliflower
- After 5 minutes in the pan, turn the heat off and place the lid on top of the pan
- Use a cloth to protect your hands, and hold the lid shut on the pan as you shake it to thoroughly mix all the ingredients
- Add everything in the pan to a deep oven dish and roast for roughly 20-25 minutes or until browned
- Just before you take the cauliflower out of the oven, add the passata to a pan and heat, adding more spices if you like. Add 2 eggs and half the cheese and stir well with a fork
- Pour the passata mix over the cauliflower to cover entirely
- Place back in the oven for roughly 15 minutes
- For the last 10 minutes either, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top, add the cherry tomatoes (if using) and replace in the oven, or transfer the dish to the grill with the crumbled cheese or alternative on tip, and grill for 10 minutes instead.
Serve & enjoy!