It’s common to feel a little sluggish and heavy at the beginning of Spring (after all, we’ve just made it through a long and dark Winter, with heavier meals and perhaps more time indoors), and this is often reflected in the workings of the digestive system. To give the body and mind a helping hand, digestive herbs and remedies can be an effective way to get rid of leftover Winter heaviness, and add a little more ‘spring’ to your step!
Try this recipe after dinner or if you’re feeling congested or lethargic. It also works well for helping relieve symptoms of colds and sinus issues.
- 2 cups water
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger
- The seeds of 1 cardamom pod
- 1 tsp cinnamon (great for balancing blood sugar)
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 tsp local honey (local honey can prevent or reduce allergies like hayfever)
- Add all ingredients other than the honey to a pan
- Heat until the water starts to boil, then leave simmering gently for 10-15 minutes
- Strain through a tea strainer or sieve into 2 mugs, and stir in a tsp of local honey
Try adding more cumin if you’re feeling bloated, or a pinch of cayenne pepper if your sinuses are blocked and you’re feeling sniffly.