Bone broth is an incredible source of glycine, protein, amino acids, collagen, immune-boosting, digestion-enhancing, gut-healing and anxiety-lowering minerals. It’s one of the top things I LOVE my clients to try, and it’s something humans have been drinking for centuries.
The thing is, if it’s not in your routine, it can be easy to forget to drink your broth (first thing in the morning BEFORE coffee or last thing at night is generally where you’ll get the biggest benefits in my opinion). So if your bone broth is sitting in your fridge (or you just want more ways of getting it into your diet) my suggestion is to cook with it!
Cooking rice in bone broth makes it absolutely delicious, nutrient-dense, balanced and better for the gut. Just add the broth in place of the water, simmer your rice, scoop off any froth that rises to the top & serve!
Leave your leftovers to cool, and when you eat them the next day they’ll have built up more resistant starch – a great food for the gut, a way to keep your blood sugar much more stable, improve elimination, and decrease intestinal cramping.
Here’s my simple recipe for making your rice more balanced and getting more from your bone broth. Use your regular bone broth recipe or my recipe HERE if you’ve never tried it before to get started on making your broth first. I also like Coombe Farm’s organic bone broth, or Take Stock.
- 1/2 cup basmati rice (this recipe is for white basmati rice – if using brown, you’ll need to cook it for longer)
- 1 + 1/2 cups bone broth + a little more if needed
- 1 leek, chopped
- small amount of butter for frying
- Dried herbs (rosemary / oregano / basil / thyme)
- Heat the butter in a pan, then add the leek and fry until soft
- Add the rice and stir for a few seconds
- Add the bone broth and bring to a simmer (add more liquid if it soaks up before the rice is filly cooked)
- Simmer for around 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked
- Add the dried herbs at the last minute and stir through
- Once cooked, take off the heat and serve!
Leave leftovers to cool and enjoy the next day