When you’re in need – or simply in the mood – to make yourself something nourishing and truly lovely for yourself, try this easy, milky, non-dairy drink. Inspired by a traditional Ayurvedic drink of blended almonds consumed first thing in the morning, this is a great recipe to help boost your ojas (a word referring to ‘vital essence’, and what I like to call your ‘juiciness’, the stuff that supports your body, your mood and your hormones).
Soak the almonds overnight, then pop them out of their shells before blending to make them more easily digestible. Enjoy warm in winter to reduce the vata dosha (you’ll know you have a lot of this energy in you if you’re feeling scattered, anxious, cold, achy, and ungrounded) or cool in Summer to reduce the pitta dosha (which if excessive, can resent as irritability, inflammation, frustration, acne or rashes, and acid reflux.
This recipe is from the upcoming Ayurveda Inspired e-recipe book, available soon!
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 5 almonds (soaked and peeled)
- 1 tsp food-grade dried rose petals
- Crushed seeds from 1 cardamom pod
- Pinch of good quality salt
- 1 date (stone removed!)
- Optional – pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup filtered water
M E T H O D
- Add everything to a blender and whizz
- Pour into a pan to warm up, or straight into your favourite mug and enjoy.