‘Tis the season of consumption – whether that’s gifts, food, chocolates or festive fizz, its likely most of us will be enjoying foods and drinks we wouldn’t usually opt for this month. If you’re looking for a way to prevent bloating and indigestion, or are in need of something to boost your Agni or digestive fire, this simple tea recipe will serve as a valuable addition to your kitchen cupboard.
Lemongrass helps enhance the production of amylase – a substance found in saliva that helps break down carbohydrates and starches, and kicks off the digestive process. Within Chinese medicine, lemongrass is used to treat headaches, stomach issues, coldness and muscle ache, whilst Brazilian folklore uses lemongrass to calm the mind and remedy fatigue. Ginger is a powerful remedy for almost any digestive discomfort, and cinnamon is an effective blood sugar balancer. Search online for organic loose leaf teas or herbs, and you can even make a batch of tea to give as thoughtful gifts! After multiple Christmas parties and heavy meals, they’ll be much appreciated…
- Firstly, find yourself a jar to store the tea in, and follow the recipe accordingly
- 1/2 jar dried lemongrass
- 1/4 jar dried ginger
- 1/4 jar cinnamon sticks
- If there’s any room left over, pop in a few peppercorns to enhance digestion even more
- Add the dried herbs and spices to the jar and shake well to mix
- When you want to drink the tea, simply add 2 tbsp to a teapot and steep in boiled water for 5 minutes
- Best consumed before dinner for a digestive boost, or after dinner to help aid the digestive process.