After realising the extent to which a few of us may have over indulged over the Christmas period and are now frantically trying to un-do the damage, mid-January is often the time we start to feel a little better inside and out, and instead of craving Christmas cake, get a taste back for natural, healthy foods. Notably: Good old green stuff.
It’s been a while since I whizzed up any smoothies, as I’m not 100% convinced they cause bloating and indigestion…. However, if you need a lot of nutrients in you fast, or you’re on-the-go, a smoothie may be your best and only option. As my lovely naturopathic nutritionalist friend advises; “Always chew your smoothies”, as chewing stimulates the digestive system to work properly, encouraging the glands in the gut to secrete digestive juices, acids and enzymes.
This smoothie is packed with hormone and gut-balancing ingredients; the aloe vera helps the body absorb more nutrients, and the Lion’s Mane medicinal mushroom is a wonderful natural way to boost your mood and improve brain function, and stimulates the synthesis of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF). Since gut health, probiotics, adaptogens and mushrooms are all on the 2017 health and wellness trend prediction list, this is pretty much the trendiest smoothie out there right now….
- 2 handfuls fresh or frozen spinach
- 2 probiotic capsules (opened and with the powder poured in)
- 1 heaped tsp of the following powders: Moringa, spirulina, chlorella
- 2 tbsp home made full-fat yoghurt (recipe coming soon)
- 1 handful fresh blueberries
- 1 shot glass measurement of aloe vera juice (available from Pukka Herbs online, or Holland & Barrett)
- 1 sachet of Lion’s Mane powder (available at lots of health food shops like Infinity Foods and Holland & Barrett)
- If you must have something sweet in your smoothie, try half an apple or half a banana, but keeping sugars low is key to the nerve and gut-loving properties of this smoothie
- Optional: Top with a dash of cayenne pepper to boost digestion. The picture above also includes edible marigold petals too, because sometimes January mornings need brightening up a bit….
Add everything to a blender and fill to 3/4 full with water
Blend until everything reaches a smooth consistency
Drink straight away, or store tightly in a safe container until you’re ready to drink. (Trust me, you don’t want to spill spirulina on anything….)