‘Tis the season of feasting and celebrating, followed by the season of trying to un-do all the feasting and celebrating….
This recipe isn’t here to tell you to count calories or cut down on anything this Christmas though – the enjoyment of being with others and celebrating together is way more important than watching the waistline for these few days. What this recipe can do however, is provide a way of enjoying gingerbread men without the gluten or dairy some people’s bodies can’t tolerate. These make great gifts, and ensuring they’re both gluten free and vegan should mean they’re suitable for all your festive guests!
- 1 ½ cups Doves Barn Gluten Free Flour
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tsp stevia
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Optional: A couple of dairy free chocolate chips or raisins for eyes
- Add the flour, bicarb, stevia and spices to a bowl and mix to combine
- Melt the coconut oil and molasses together and pout into the bowl
- Mix well – if it seems too dry, add a tiny splash of milk, and if it seems to wet, add a little more flour
- Briefly use your hands to create a ball of dough and place in the fridge for 30 minutes – 1 hour to set (this allows the biscuits to cut to shape a lot easier, and they’ll keep their shape better whilst baking)
- When you’re ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 180c
- Roll out the rough to roughly ½ cm – the thicker you roll the dough, the softer the gingerbread men will be, and of course the thinner you roll, the shorter baking time you’ll have, and the crispier they’ll be.
- Use a cutter to cut out the gingerbread man shapes and place on a lined baking tray
- Bake for roughly 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown
- Leave to cool and enjoy!
Leave a Reply