(Makes 20 squares )
- 2 cups dates
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2-3 heaped tbsp dark cocoa powder or good quality hot chocolate powder, or raw cacao if you have it for extra nutrients.
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Optional 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (atleast 85%)
- Top with dried rose petals for added fancy-ness
The method for making these is very similar to the one used in the Ojas Boosting Bars recipe, which I’ll honestly say is partly inspired by ancient Ayurvedic and Yogic texts, and partly by Nigella Lawson….
- Place the dates in a pan and cover with boiling water
- Simmer on a low heat – stirring every so often – for 15-20 minutes, or until the dates become mushy and soft.
- While the dates are softening, add all other ingredients, other than the coconut oil and honey, to a bowl and mix together
- When the dates are ready, pour the dry ingredients into the pan
- Add in your coconut oil and honey and stir everything together well
- Line a baking tray with brown paper or non BPA cling film and squish the mixture firmly into the tray
- Sprinkle over dried rose petals, gently pressing them into the mixture
- Cover and leave to cool
- When the mixture is cool, place in the fridge and leave over night to set completely
- Cut into about 20 squares and eat, share & enjoy!