There’s no mistaking the season with the Wintery scents of this recipe as it cooks. Aromas of cinnamon and star anise will make the kitchen smell as though you’re warming up a batch of mulled wine, but this preserve is suitable for the whole family, and is perfect spread over warm home made bread or this tea loaf recipe. Alternatively, add a spoon to porridge or yoghurt or eat straight from the jar.
Persimmons are abundant at this time of year, so make the most of the last of their sweetness and enjoy them for a couple of weeks further.
Ingredients (makes one large jar of preserve)
- 2 medium persimmon fruits
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3-4 tbsp chia seeds
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2-3 tbsp raw honey
- Chop the persimmons up into small cubes and place in a medium saucepan
- Cover with water and bring to the boil
- Add the cinnamon sticks, star anise, nutmeg and orange zest and leave to simmer for about half an hour
- After half an hour, pour the bubbling mixture into a heat-proof bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and mash the persimmon cubes with a potato masher, alternatively, use a food processor if you want a smoother texture.
- Add the chia seeds and raw honey and stir well to combine (you could always place the mixture back into the food processor at this point)
- Transfer to a jar and leave to set and cool completely, then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.