Mid-August calls for something that provides an abundance of nutrients, but doesn’t require hours inside the kitchen to make it. It calls for something healthy and light, but also filling enough to last until the sun sets late in the evening. It calls for something without garlic, because Summer is a social time of year…..
This recipe is vegan, raw, low sugar, high protein and quick to make. You can store the pesto in the fridge for a couple of days by adding extra lemon juice to preserve the avocado, but as with everything, it’s best eaten fresh!
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- juice of ½ lemon
- Handful fresh basil
- A glug of hemp oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp B12 flakes (optional)
- 1 courgette, spiralised
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Place avocado, hemp seeds, hemp oil, lemon, salt, basil and optional B12 flakes in a food processor and process until they reach a thick texture similar to pesto.
- Spiralise your courgette
- Stir the pesto through the courgette and crunch some pepper on top to taste
- Serve on a warm August day with a sprig of fresh basil and fresh tomatoes